Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Gaming By Numbers and The Boss' Annoying Kid Ruins Diablo 3

Over the past six months, I've had two co-workers looking into a getting a console for the first time this generation. One of them was new to gaming in general. For both of them, the decision came down to Xbox 360 and PS3. I did what I could to figure out which console would be a better fit for the each of them by asking what they wanted to get out of a console and comparing that to my opinion of what each console does better. I generally recommended the 360 for online gaming despite the Xbox Live subscription fees and the PS3 for someone who wants to do more than game with their console.

Everyone has their own opinion about each console, but that was my recommendation. As much as a gamer as I am, I tend to game almost exclusively on my Xbox; my PS3 is mostly a Blu-ray player. My wife and I still game on it, but mostly just PS3 exclusives like Uncharted and Little Big Planet. It seems that I'm not alone here, either.

Some Nielson ratings were recently released about usage on the Big 3. It's a pretty interesting chart to look at. The Wii gets the largest percentage of offline play because people are generally playing with people in the same room. (Most of those party games don't have an online option, and when these games are about 60% of the total gaming options on the Wii the math adds up.) I'm guessing that 20% that is streaming video are Netflix users. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

When we compare the 360 and PS3, the numbers are closer, but they reveal some interesting trends. Gaming in general, offline and online combined, makes up of a little bit more than 60% of activity on the 360 but less than 50% on the PS3. Besides gaming on the PS3, the most popular thing to do on a PS3 was watching DVDs and Blu-ray movies. Not too surprising though, considering that the 360 doesn't actually play any HD format discs without the now antiquated HDDVD peripheral (I know someone who has one and a decently sized collection of these elusive creatures). I must say, though, that all of these numbers are only recording the proportional percentage of usage and not numbers of hours compared to the other consoles. So, where there is a higher percentage gaming done on the 360, these numbers are not actually saying that there are more people using the console over the others. Just keep that in mind.

Some other interesting numbers came out this week regarding digital downloads. As a proponent of digital distribution and a harbinger of the digital revolution, I find these numbers fascinating. According to NPD, digital downloads are nearing 1/3 of total game sales. Of these digital purchases, services like Steam make up of almost half. App stores for smartphones almost match the numbers for Steam and Steam-like services. What amazes me most is that digital downloads on the Big 3 consoles make up less than 1/3 of these digital sales combined. Granted, since this all includes cell and smart phones, you have a lot of casual gamers downloading free game apps or $0.99 games like Cut The Rope and Angry Birds and purists may argue the "validity" of including such stats. However, these are real games and should be included. Curious to see what these numbers may look like in the next couple of years.

And, one more thing!

Diablo 3, the tease that she is, creeps ever closer. Now that the last of the first 5 classes has been revealed, it seems that Blizzard had to work pretty hard to keep the list short and sweet. With ideas like these, I wonder what the game could have been...

Gnome, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment