Friday, April 26, 2013

Epic and Legendary Dynamic Controllers for Disabled Gamers

Confused by the title? Then I suggest checking out PressHeartToContinue on YouTube. Thanks, Dodger, for the titling scheme. It's fun. (I hope she doesn't think I'm ripping her off...)

Anywhoooooooo...

Lots of stuff going on. First and foremost, I hope everyone enjoyed by AC:R review. I'm playing through a lot of my older games that I haven't finished yet, and I hope to be reviewing more of them soon! I will probably be doing Dragon Age: Origins next, but keep your eyes peeled. I've also started playing SWTOR again. If you've played and dropped it, I suggest picking it back up. There have been a lot of improvements since launch, and I've found it fun again after my hiatus. You can go F2P with it, but I really recommend picking up a game time card, because F2P is nerfed pretty bad.

Let's break down some gaming news!


New Xbox Inbound!

Microsoft is going to be announcing their next console on May 21! Set your calendars, kiddos.
So, what can we expect from PS4's main rival (so far)? No one really knows, of course, but there are plenty of rumors: more Kinect, probably same controller, some sort of second screen (adding on to SmartGlass), blocking used games, and (now infamously) always-on internet connection. We'll just have to wait a few weeks to see how much of those rumors come to fruition. I, for one, was pleasantly surprised by the PS4...and might be leaning that way. Personally, I don't care too much about an always-on internet connection, but I do understand why some people are upset about it. My more pressing concerns are the continuation of a subscription model for XBL and the use of Microsoft Points. My god...make it stop. People spell it "Micro$oft" for a reason, guys.


The event starts on 5/21 at 10am PST, and can be streamed at xbox.com, on Xbox Live, and at spiketv.com.

Speaking of the PS4...

Sony released a developer video highlighting some features of the new controller. I thought it was kind of neat. Check it out!

And Speaking of Contollers...



A little-known or publicized issue in video games is accessibility for disabled persons. However, Josh Straub, a former GameInformer intern, is currently leading the fight to increase awareness of this issue. He's recently entered his organization, DAGERS, into a competition in order to win some funding. Though I am not disabled, I think this is a really important issue. To me, it feels like something that would be really easily addressed by developers and hardware manufacturers, but it just doesn't happen. Please vote for DAGERS and help further Josh's noble cause, or visit the DAGERS site to donate directly.

Flying Fluid Dynamics, Batman!

I know pretty much nothing about programming or physics. But, I do recognize when these things come together and make sweet, sweet technological love. Case in point: a couple of really smart people at Nvidia have found another way to simulate water. And it's a beautiful thing.


Skyrim goes LEGEN-wait for it-DARY.

The inevitable GOTY of Skyrim is on it's way. I haven't touched any of the DLC yet, so I'm thinking I want to trade up. Seems worth it.

PHAT LEWTZ, BRO!

There's a new PC title in the works at Ubisoft that has kind of piqued my interest. This little gem is called The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot. Check out the trailer. Just do it. I actually laughed out loud. I'm seeing a neat mix of humor, Diablo-style combat, and dungeon building with a social twist. And it's F2P, so you might as well try it. I'm guessing there will be micro-transactions, but the game's only in Alpha right now and such details haven't been released yet. Do you even dungeon crawl, bro?



That's all for now. Gnome, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment