Sunday, August 8, 2010

Glory to House Auditore!!! and Ubisoft

So, I finished Assassin's Creed 1 the other day. I had heard that the ending was really confusing, and thus, resisted the urge to read spoilers. It was every bit as confusing as I had heard. Instead of figuring it out myself, I read a thread on xbox360.org about it. He had some very interesting insights, many of which could lead to future AC games, but I doubt it. I think I'll take a trilogy and be done. I don't want one of my favorite current generation franchises beat until it is dry and bloodless. (Heh, pun unintended.)

But, this all leads my to my main point: Assassin's Creed 2, for me, is a special brand of awesomesauce. The first time Desmond got into the Animus and I heard the first line of Italian, my heart melted. For one of the first times in my life, my real life and the video games I play seemed to truly meld.

Oop. Time for a bit of background information. I spent the spring semester of 2008 studying in Macerata, Italy. During my time there, I was able to visit Venice, Rome and Florence, among much more. So, for me to now be playing a video game that takes place in some of my favorite places in the world, it has been an exceptionally exciting experience thus far. What makes it even better, is that Ubisoft has done very well in faithfully recreating Florence accurately. I am running along rooftops and climbing many landmarks I have been to personally.

I cannot completely, in words, describe the "GOO!!!" feeling of climbing the colossal Giotto Campanile then swan diving off the top, or climbing out of a river and up the side of Ponte Vecchio. Because of my real world experiences and the masterful craftsmanship of Ubisoft, this may just be one of my favorite games of ALL TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment