Saturday, January 16, 2016

2016? Better make a post

Hey there, gamers! It's been several months since my last update. There's been a lot going on (mainly Life), though not much to show for it. But, I'll highlight some of my recent goings on for ya!

1) Omnibus Journal
I've done a couple of articles for Omnibus Journal, a Geek culture site run by a few of my personal friends. I hope to make a few more contributions in the future, so stay tuned. I highly recommend checking out OJ as a whole. There's some neat stuff there and it's awesome.

2) Elite: Dangerous
For a number of years now, I've been itching for more space sims and it seems the genre is making a comeback. A couple of months ago, I joined in this resurgence by purchasing Elite: Dangerous on my Xbox One. So far, it's been a good time. While it may lack in expository storytelling, it does give you a fairly authentic (I assume) space sim experience. You are loaned a ship and let loose to make your way in the galaxy any way you choose. I've barely scratched the surface so far, and there's plenty to get into still. Not to mention, it's one of those rare games that you have to learn how to play (s mentioned in one of my Omnibus Journal articles).

3) Shovel Knight
I also finally got a copy of Shovel Knight on my Xbox One, and it has been a blast so far, too. It is a pretty good combination of DuckTales and MegaMan with a fantastic soundtrack. I hear there is a big difficulty spike coming, but I welcome it. LONG LIVE THE TROUPPLE KING! LONG MAY HIS STEM GROW!!

4) SpellStone
I'm a sucker for mobile CCGs like Hearthstone. Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I found a new one called SpellStone. I plays a bit more like SolForge than Hearthstone, but it is still enjoyable and has some good depth to it. It is free to play like Hearthstone, and has a great artstyle that reminds me of Penny Arcade. I'm having some technical difficulties with it on my iPad 2, but it is also available in a browser if you log in with a Kongregate account.

5) Rebel Galaxy
I hadn't heard about this game in a while, but it recently released on consoles. I caught some Twitch streams and I am probably sold on it. Here's how I would describe what I've seen so far: space truckers with some RPG elements. From what I understand, you spend a lot of time hauling items from point A to point B with some action sequences in between. But, while cruising around, you have a radio blasting music that would feel at home in Borderlands, and other ships will contact you over what sounds like a CB radio. Seems super fun and stylish. Enjoy the launch trailer below.



6) I have joined the PS4 ranks!
I received a Star Wars edition PS4 recently along with a copy of Bloodborne. I'm aiming to get Uncharted 4 and No Man's Sky later this year - and maybe Nioh and the Final Fantasy VII remake. I hope to get some streaming done in the near future, so be watching my Twitch channel. Also, feel free to add me on PSN: Macdoogal42 (or click here).

That's all for now, kiddos. I'll be back soon!





1 comment: