Thursday, January 9, 2014

Overdue Update

Hello Interwebz!

It's been quite a while since my last update, as seems to be the norm for me as of late. I'm going to blame work and being a parent again, which is true. But, regardless, let me give everyone a run down of what's been going on with me as far as games are concerned.


My mother-in-law pre-ordered an XBox One for my wife and me during E3. Despite some anxiety over the tracking on UPS's website, it arrived on Launch Day as expected. We set it up, and have not had any troubles with it since. No blu-ray shredding or any of the other issues you may have heard about. In fact, we love it quite a bit. The kinect's voice commands are still spotty, but they're much better than before. Face recognition is pretty good, though it doesn't read my wife very well. But...the games look GREAT so far. Forza is amazing and the frame rate on AC4 is really, really smooth. Looking forward to more games, though. We have Titanfall and Destiny on pre-order, and they can't come out soon enough. I hope to write a more in-depth post about my XB1 experiences so far sometime soon.

Pokemon Y was amazing. To be fair, I haven't beaten it yet. My wife has, but she wasn't focusing on catching all the pokemon along the way like I have been. Regardless, the animated battles are a HUGE breath of fresh air, and some of the new species are really great. I actually like the looks for all three starters this time around, which is rare.

I got A Link Between Worlds for Christmas, and it has been dominating my free time when I'm not near a console. I wasn't sure how I was going to like the rental system before I started playing. I was worried that dungeons would lose some of their weight because you're not finding that new item. To extent, that is the case, but it turns out this hasn't been a huge deal. The dungeons and the boss battles are still extremely fun even if you're not uncovering a new treasure in each one. The "merge" mechanic where you become a moving painting on a flat surface works like a dream and adds a deceptively simple new wrinkle in the Zelda formula. It's also just a BLAST to revisit the Hyrule of A Link To The Past.

My Wii died, so I may be replacing it with a Wii U sometime this year. I'm actually getting excited by the Wii U lineup for this year. Maybe it will come into its own finally, much like the 3DS did after it's own shaky launch.

I got invited to the Hearthstone beta a few weeks ago. I love it! I hadn't heard about Blizzard's plan to bring it to iPad before I started playing. But, I could tell it would be a great fit for a touch screen when I started playing. It's fast, fun and beautiful. I recommend checking out some of Day[9]'s videos on YouTube if you're curious about the game at all.

I'm in the process of applying for some big new jobs at work, so my apologies in advance if my posts continue to be sporadic. Stay awesome, Internet.




No comments:

Post a Comment