Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wait, Wait! Don't Tell Me...

Today's going to be a big day for Sony and their fans. Though we still don't truly know what Sony is planning to announce today at their press conference, the evidence seems pretty unshakable.

Sony's spent the past several days recounting the recent successes of the PS2, PS3, Move and their games. PSP and Vita haven't been anywhere near the spotlight. Then, there are the leaked photos of what may be the PS4 controller. It feels pretty safe to say that the PS4 going to be in the wild pretty soon.

Memebase (Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale)
I have to say I'm generally supportive of the next console generation coming to fruition. It feels right; now is a good time. While the current generation still feels viable to me, I have started to sense a bit of stagnation. Part of that is corporate business models (annual game releases, etc), but I think developers could also use new hardware to explore. Besides the emergence of second screen technology and Kinect/Move (don't get me started on Illumiroom...), games are starting to feel same-ish. Games look great, and will continue to do so, but mechanics are wearing a bit thin - unless you're exploring indie games. (If that's the case, good for you! Please keep that up.)

Kill me now.
(memebase)
I really don't know what the next generation will bring. Nonetheless, I have aspirations. I hope Microsoft foregoes their MSP system and provides XBox Live as a free program with a premium level, more along the lines of how Sony does the PSN. Having to pay to play online is one thing, but having to pay so you can access other apps  you pay for, e.g. Netflix, is ludicrous. I hope Sony tries to be a bit more user friendly and less technical, for lack of a better term. I think second screen is useful and would love to see more applications of that in new and interesting ways, but let Wii U keep its touch pad. I hope for more cross-platform interactivity. I'd love to play Borderlands 2 on my Xbox against friends who prefer to play on PC or PS3. I mean, as long as the game was purchased for your system, who cares who they play it with? (I know the problem is that the online access servers are owned by Microsoft/Sony respectively, which makes this a pipe dream. I can dream though, dammit.) I know GameInformer has some ideas for Sony, though. I generally agree with these.

If the Intertubez are correct and today marks the unveiling of Sony's new console. True or not, the gaming world will be changed for better or worse. I'm cautiously optimistic for now, but still reserving judgement until details are made corporeal.

Sony's press conference begins at 6:00 EST and will be streamed online here.

From memegenerator.com





No comments:

Post a Comment