Monday, June 28, 2010

There's Something About Motion Controls: Part 1

Speaking of E3, I'm sure we all know that there were two MAJOR features and products that were being tossed around: 3D gaming and motion controls.

Ah, motion controls...how I love and loathe you simultaneously. While watching G4's coverage of The Expo, I must have groaned after the 30,000th mention of Kinect. My wife burst out with, "What's wrong with you? Why are you so against this motion control stuff?" Well, it's not that I'm against motion controls, it's the hype that I can't cope with.

Everyone seems to have this perception that Kinect and Move are going to have this fundamental effect on the entire video gaming world. It just seems to me that these were the same thoughts everyone, including myself, had about the Wii. Well, we all know how that turned out.

While Kinect and Move have a much more dynamic platform in the 360 and PS3 respectively, I just help but stay ambivalent. It's not that I'm not excited to see what these two devices can do, especially with hardcore gaming, but I'm not holding my breath. It used to be that the very thought of how motion controls might affect how I play a game got me very excited. I remember getting really revved up about the controls for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

This excitement, though, has worn off. I have no doubt that motion controls on 360 and PS3 could succeed. I do doubt, however, if this will indeed happen.

Gnome, out.

2 comments:

  1. Well, as a core gamer, there hasn't really been any core games on the Wii that tell me if motion controls are worth it or not. I am convinced that they work great with FPS though. The aiming with motion controls are better then a mouse and analog stick. Motion controls for casuals though is a different story since the games made for that audience work. They are simple, easy to pick up games too.

    With PS3 Move, hopefully 3rd parties will take advantage of the motion controls with their high profile titles (something the Wii is pretty much not getting) and prove to the core gamers that they are worth the investment. They work for FPS and games like RE4(was ported to the Wii) work great as well.

    The other issue with Kinect and Move is that they're optional accessories so only a certain percentage of consumers will buy the devices. It won't be the whole user base like it is with the Wii, where pretty much anyone who buys a Wii will be forced to play games with motion controls.

    Also... What's funny is that Kinect doesn't seem to work while sitting because it has trouble scanning a person's skeletal system... Har har. And Milo is a tech demo and there are no plans to release that as a game *burn*.

    -Squirrel Emperor

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took a lot of words right out of my mouth. I'm doing my motion control rant in multiple parts, so I'll be going into the Wii, Move, and Kinect with some depth later on. Trust me, there's a lot to say.

    ReplyDelete